Wednesday, February 20, 2008

More of the Poconos

Upon review of my post from yesterday, I realized that I really did omit some of the more interesting "cultural experiences" from our trip to the Poconos. I think I'd be truly remiss if I didn't regale you with those tales here....

When Dave and I first got into town on Friday afternoon we stopped by the Hawley Diner. It's exactly the sort of place you think of when I say "diner"...shiny, silver, and sort of shaped like a breadbox. So first thing I know, the parents of a young daughter and baby in the booth beside us both LIGHT UP CIGARETTES. It definitely made me think of that Reese Witherspoon line from Sweet Home Alabama: "Oh wow. You have a baby...in a bar." The mother looked pretty mean...I'm certain she wouldn't have appreciated my constructive feedback, so I held my tongue.

The second interesting cultural observation was at the guns & ammo store. They had one of those roadside marquee signs that has the light-up arrow on it. Anyway, on the sign were the letters "We buy used gun." That's not a typo. We buy used GUN, singular. I'm so mad at myself that I didn't take a picture to put up here. Again, I thought that stopping off to provide constructive feedback might not be wise.

The last, and most fun, is reported here secondhand, as I did not personally observe it. I have it on good authority (from Lisa & Scott) that a LOT of people with, shall we say, outdated hairdos do attend the Sunday morning 11:30 mass. Apparently there were a lot of mullets. The only other place I've seen a mullet of late is on Guitar Hero. For a very weird experience, see the wikipedia on mullets:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mullet_(haircut)#History_and_cultural_significance Little did you know that there are chullets, frullets, momullets, skullets, and many more variations on the classic mullet. Just in case you're looking for a new style to try out with the ladies....or the gents, for that matter....!




2 comments:

Missy said...

Now this sounds more like my kind of trip. But I have a question, was the mullet-bearer also the owner of the gun shop?

Karen L. Mahon, Ed.D. said...

Good question....sadly I don't know the answer to that, but I'll leave that up to your good West Virginia sensibilities to determine the likelihood....